Shaving while maintaining smooth and supple skin takes a lot more than a splash of water, a hand mirror and a rusty blade - follow these five easy steps to clean shaven heaven.
1) First steam the face with a hot, wet towel to open the pores. Apply a shaving oil in upward motions to the face and neck to loosen the bristles and reduce razor friction. Pre-Shave Oil such as those produced by The Shave Doctor or Neals Yard Remedies Organic, contain skin conditioning Vitamin E and healing Calendula making it especially good for those with heavy beards or those prone to razor bumps and ingrown hairs.
2) Next apply shaving cream or gel to the face, either with fingers or a shaving brush in circular movements, lathering well. For more sensitive skins, opt for a product that is fragrance free. The Shave Doctor or Neals Yard Remedies Organic Shave Cream are highly recommended and used at al Covo as part of the Men's Wet Shave Treatment.
3) Using a clean, multi-bladed razor, begin shaving with the grain of hair growth (usually downward). Use short strokes, rinsing the blade often. Shave the ‘easy’ areas first (cheeks), while leaving the neck, chin and upper lip for last. This will allow these areas more time to soften up.
4) Gently cleanse your face and then rinse thoroughly with cool water and then apply a toner to close the pores. If needed, pat your face with a soft towel.
5) Generously moisturise with an oil free moisturiser, like Neals Yard Remedies Organic or The Shave Doctor. Stay clear of any aftershave containing alcohol, which will - in addition to hurting like hell - dry your skin out.
Come in for some advice or book in for a traditional Men’s Wet Shave treatment at al Covo – a double shave (with and against the direction of hair growth), hot and cold flannels, and all of the above products to help improve the skin.
I look forward to treating you.