©2010-2017 al Covo
The kiwifruit makes a perfect addition to fruit salads and desserts because of its beautiful, brilliant green colour and exotic taste. But aside from its attractive appearance, the uniqueness of kiwifruit comes from its amazing health benefits too.
Kiwis offer the following benefits:
1. It helps control your blood pressure. The high levels of potassium found in kiwi makes it a great snack option for people with heart conditions. Potassium helps keep your blood pressure in check by combating the effects of sodium in your blood, which is a known factor for high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
2. It helps fight heart disease. Eating 2-3 kiwis a day has been shown to reduce the likelihood of blood clotting by 18 per cent and bad cholesterol levels by 15 per cent. Kiwifruit has been shown to have similar effects with anti blood clotting aspirins, but with no side effec
3. It boosts your immunity. A medium-sized kiwi contains whopping 92.7 mg of vitamin C – the super vitamin which plays a vital role in keeping your immune system strong and healthy. It also comes with antioxidants that help you fight chronic diseases. Eating kiwifruit regularly may also cut your risk of experiencing respiratory symptoms associated with asthma such as wheezing.
4. It’s good for your tummy. They say you are just as healthy as your gut. A hundred-gram serving of kiwi has 3g of fibre which helps improve your digestive health. Like most other fruits, kiwi has both soluble and insoluble fibre. The soluble fibre forms a gel-like substance that helps reduce the level of glucose, total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol). The insoluble one adds bulk and softness to your stool, lowering your risk of chronic digestive disorders, such as haemorrhoids, constipation, diverticulosis and diverticulitis.
5. It protects your cells from DNA damage. A 2011 study published in the Journal Nutrition revealed that the unique combination of antioxidants help protect the cell DNA from oxidative damage.
6. It’s good for diabetics. Not all fruits are suitable for people with diabetes. But kiwifruit is among those that are very much recommended to them. It has low glycemic index, which means it doesn’t raise your blood pressure quickly.
7. It’s good for your skin. Kiwis are a good source of vitamin E – an essential nutrient that protects your skin from degeneration.
8. It helps protect you from cancer. Studies show that cancer has anti-cancer benefits too. The hairy skin of the fruit is high in antioxidants and thought to have anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic and anti-cancer properties.
9. It promotes good eyesight. Most of us know that carrots are good for eyesight. That’s true. But kiwifruit is equally beneficial. Kiwifruit has high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin – natural chemicals found in the human eye. A study published in 2003 in the journal Archives of Opthamology revealed that eating three servings of fruit each day, including kiwi, may lower your risk of age-related macular degeneration which is the major cause of vision loss in adults.
10. It supports healthy birth. Kiwi contains four times more folate than peaches. This nutrient is essential for women before and during pregnancy. It also aids in the development of blood vessels of the baby in the womb.
Eating kiwifruit daily can dramatically improve your health. So why not make it a part of your diet? From lowering your blood pressure to enhancing your immune system and protecting you from chronic diseases – this exotic fruit is indeed a great addition to your diet!
Best wishes, Steve
Fill in the form below, or call Steve on 023 8063 9913 / 07968 065885